A day at the workbench yesterday – actually, at the breakfast table in the kitchen – resulted in another structure for St. Williams (and another cardboard mock-up for the recycling bin or fireplace) as I scratch-built a garage to go with the house I recently finished.
Unlike the rather large – one might even say “useful” – garage in Port Rowan, this is a classic 1920s-era single car garage. It’s the kind found behind many houses in the older parts of Ontario communities: at just 14′ by 16′, it was big enough for a 1920s-era automobile but far too small for most vehicles on North American roads today.
Even by the 1950s, this garage would have been too small for the chromed cruisers. The car likely parked in the driveway and the garage was used as a combination garden shed and workshop.
For this model, I drew heavily on the floor plans and sketches in the “Better Built – Ready Cut” Bennett Homes Catalog that I found online.
I scratch-built everything except the window panes, which I cut from a spare set of Grandt Line 20-pane factory windows I found in my parts box. I built new window frames around these with strip wood, and scratch-built the double doors using strip wood and veneer business cards that I picked up at my local Lee Valley Tools. I added HO scale Tichy hinges to the doors, plus a latch bent up from a pair of Details Associates eyebolts. As is my preference, the windows are glazed with microscope slide covers.
I decided to use Insulbrick on this building, since it’s commonly seen but not commonly modelled. I cut the four walls from styrene sheet, then applied printed Insulbrick from Penitentiary Productions – the same company that produced the licence plates that I’m adding to my vehicles. The Insulbrick is printed on photo paper and is scaled for HO, but I think it works fine for S. I cut the sheets into panels with a sharp blade, then treated the cut edges of the paper with a black permanent marker before gluing them in place with Thick CA.
For the corners, I rounded the edges of the styrene and applied panels to overhang the corners on the end wall. I then curled the panels around, determined where to trim them, cut them to length with scissors, treated the edges with a marker, then folded and glued them in place.
I really like how the individual panels and dark edges create texture on the model when it’s on the layout:
Now that I’ve built the garage of this scene, I can measure and create a base on which I’ll mount the house and garage. The base will let me level the structures and create a driveway. When it’s finished, I can blend the base into the scene. This will also take care of the floating rear corner of the garage, which is really evident in this photo:
All in all, a good day’s work!