As mentioned previously on this blog, I’ve been keeping my hand in the hobby by doing some projects for other people’s layouts. Last November, I wrote about CNR 7456 – a venerable brass HO scale 0-6-0 that I updated and finished to I can take it to run on a layout being built by my friend Stephen Gardiner. Now, I’ve completed another such “boomer” engine:
Southern Pacific 1010 is an EMD SW1 that I’ve built to take along for operating sessions on the SP layout being built by my friend Pierre Oliver. He’s modelling the Clovis Branch – from Fresno to Friant, California – which definitely was not home turf for these pint-sized switchers. They patrolled parts of the SP’s Pacific Electric subsidiary (which explains the trolley poles: these were needed to activate grade crossing protection in PE territory).
But I can’t resist a locomotive with trolley poles – and I found a new-in-the-box, factory-painted Walthers SW1 for a reasonable price – so the die was cast.
The Walthers model is from the first run – circa 1993. DCC was relatively new then, so this locomotive was not set up to accommodate a decoder. It also featured a bizarre drive train, with an enormous motor driving the rear truck through a universal, but the front truck through a rubber tube coupling. I decided to replace the motor with a smaller, more modern offering from NWSL, in part to make room for a sound decoder. I also added new universals and drive shafts, and updated the wheels with semi-scale replacements.
Then I went mad with details, including photo etched upgrades, a number of scratch-built items, and – of course – trolley poles. I originally had functioning poles, but I didn’t like the huge springs and wanted to add the ropes, so I removed the springs and glued the poles in the stowed position.
I won’t say too much more about this locomotive because I plan to write a feature on it. But I will say it was a very tight, ship-in-a-bottle DCC installation – but a very satisfying project – and I can’t wait to put SP 1010 through its paces, spotting and lifting PFE reefers in the valley…