My friend Stephen Gardiner asked if I could install a LokSound decoder into one of his locomotives while he took notes. I was happy to oblige, so he came over yesterday and following a quick brunch at Harbord House, we got down to it.
The locomotive in question is an Atlas HO scale ALCo S2 – one of the newer series that’s set up for DCC and sound, but was wired for straight DC operation (no decoder). I’m glad that I’d recently finished doing such an installation into an HO scale Walthers EMD SW-1 model (which I have posted about previously on this website), because that experience gave me the foundation I needed to tackle this project. Over three or four hours, I shoehorned a LokSound Select Micro, a PowerPack electronic flywheel, and two sugar cube speakers into Stephen’s model.
Stephen has written more about the day, on his website. You can visit his site and read his report by clicking on this photo of me at work…
Overall, the project went really smoothly – there was plenty of room under the hood and in the cab for everything. With the wiring done, we downloaded the appropriate file from ESU and discussed other things for the 20 minutes or so it took to write into the locomotive. I then did loaded CVs from the decoder I used in the SW1 and adjusted some values for the S2. The finished locomotive runs very smoothly and sounds great. It’s now up to Stephen to paint it.
It’s the first time I’ve had two people working together in my workshop, and I’m really pleased with how that worked out. A most enjoyable afternoon!