I visited my friend Andy Malette yesterday, for another work session on our CNR 2-8-2 project. This time, we tackled a couple of details.
Up front, I added the CNR’s triangular number board to the smokebox front. This really completes the face of any CNR steam locomotive. I do like the appearance of CNR engines – very stylish, yet purposeful:
At the back, we realized we had not yet installed the smoke lifter on the cab roof. This seemed like a good time to add that part. We cut a piece out of thin brass, curled it in our fingers, then soldered it in place. It was easier than I expected:
I like to think of it as the rear lip spoiler – keeping the rear of the locomotive planted on the track at speeds above 50 mph…
The smoke lifter needs seven small triangles added behind it as braces. I’ll tackle that next.