A drive train for D-1

CNR D-1 Drive Train

I’ve decided to tackle a few projects that have been stalled, to see if I can make some progress on them. The CNR D-1 passenger train set is an example – I last posted about this almost three years ago, and it’s been collecting dust since then. There are some issues to resolve, and other projects called…

Yesterday, I decided to solve one of those issues: The drive train. I was most of the way there: The motor and power truck – both donated from an S Helper Service SW1 – were installed. But I needed a drive shaft to connect them. I dug through my stash of Northwest Short Line driveline components and found a mostly suitable shaft, plus universal couplings.

I say “mostly suitable” because I had no drive shaft material that would fit the universal coupling at the gear tower end of the drive. Everything was too small.

Fortunately, I have a lathe and making a bushing is an ideal project for it. I had some brass tube that fits the universal coupling, so all I had to do was bore it to accept the drive shaft. I chucked the tube into the lathe and got to work…

Boring the bushing:
Boring the bushing.

Test-fitting the drive shaft:
Test fitting the shaft

Parting the bushing:
Parting the bushing

I cut a length of 2.0mm drive shaft, added the bushing and universal coupling at the gear tower end, added a universal ball at the motor end, and assembled the drive. Everything press-fits nicely – I experienced no slipping. (If I do in the future, I will add some Lock-Tite.)

The assembled drive

I tested the drive with a 9v battery, running it in both directions while wiggling the truck about and turning it to its extremes, and all runs smoothly and quietly. I was worried about the extreme angle of the drive shaft – but that turned out to be a non-issue. Progress has indeed been achieved!

The next step is tackling the texture of the 3D Printed body shells. I’m visiting a friend later today – we believe we have a solution for this. Stay tuned…

CNR D1 Texture (Before)

7 thoughts on “A drive train for D-1

  1. Mr. Hobby makes some “Mr. Surfacer” liquids, as a spray or brush. Intended to help smooth surface imperfections, might help fill some of that texture. I’ve not tried it, but keep wanting to…

    • Hi Stephan:
      Thanks for the suggestion. The grey you see on the model IS Mr. Surfacer. It helps – but several applications with sanding between coats is still required.
      Cheers!

    • Hi Keith:
      Thanks for the suggestion. I went with something bigger and bolder, as I’ll explain in a future post.
      Cheers!

  2. Iain Rice had commented on the sharp drive angle being deleterious to a drive years ago in one of the UK magazines. He favoured a drive as straight as possible.

  3. Great to see this project back on track. Having been armpit deep in N scale DCC installs and drive adaptations recently, I am frankly jealous of the vast tracts of real estate for motors, shafts, decoders, and the like that you have at your disposal in this model.
    I was flabbergasted by the 3D printing stratification on your primed D1 shell, and have been challenged by this problem on my own 3D printed locomotive projects. Judging by the comments, sounds like you have exhausted the possibilities of Mr Surfacer (presuming you are aware of the heavier-grained Mr Surfacer 500 product) and are moving to a more dramatic solution. I’m waiting with bated breath to see how you tackle this vexing bug of the otherwise promising 3D printing process for modeling.

Leave a Reply to Trevor Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're not a nasty spamming robot thingy * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.