Well, it took more than a month, but I’ve now finished running the freight extra to Port Rowan that Robin Talukdar and I started back in early December.
I was in the layout room doing something else and realized, “Hey – I have 15 minutes: that’s all I’ll need.” So, out came the throttle and I reassembled the train in Port Rowan, then ran it back to its terminal in Hamilton (actually, staging), with a stop in St. Williams to collect a couple of cars we’d set on the siding for retrieval on the return trip.
I don’t often run the layout by myself anymore: I have done it enough times that there’s nothing really new in the experience for me (and that’s the reality of closely modelling a specific prototype: things tended to be done the same way, day in and day out. That’s great for a real railway, which is about doing a job – less so for a model railway, which is about having fun).
But sometimes when I’m in the mood I’ll have at it – and this was one of those times. I do need to find more of those times, as I enjoyed the 15-minute ops session. (Better yet, I need to find time to invite friends over to run with me!)
Overall, the layout ran well – although I had a couple of instances where my wireless throttle dropped its Wi-Fi connection, which is odd since it’s never more than 20 feet from the base station.
To read more about the start of this particular run, click on either of the photographs.