I built apple trees yesterday afternoon – many, many apple trees – and by dinner time I had planted the back orchard at Port Rowan.
As I’ve described elsewhere, the trees are Woodland Scenics armatures over which I’ve added fine leaf foliage using the company’s Hob-E-Tac adhesive. (This stuff looks and smells like Weldbond, but I tried brushing some Weldbond on an armature and it doesn’t seem to set up as tacky – so I’ll keep using the Hob-E-Tac.)
Once planted, I squirted the orchard with hair spray, sprinkled the Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage with a bit of Selkirk Scenery leaf material to add variation and colour, then scattered Woodland Scenics apples. The effect is quite good – and we know they’re apple trees because, well, they have apples in them!
(Note that the trees in the front orchard have not yet had their Selkirk leaves or apples applied.)
Now, onto the front orchard. I’m less than half-way done with building apple trees, but the process is going quickly so far and as I anticipated, it’s worth the effort!