I’ve made some progress on the four additional HO scale tobacco kilns I’m building for my friend Pierre Oliver. (These are a good practice run for the five kilns I will need to build in S scale for St. Williams.)
With a strong mug of tea and plenty of styrene strip to hand, I added framing and the large loading doors to the sidewalls. I worked in assembly-line fashion, giving the thick CA time to cure between steps.
Next, I added strips of 2″x4″ to either side of the loading door, followed by the other two doors on each side wall. Note I eyeballed a tiny gap between the framing strips and the doors to either side. The strips are also slightly longer than the doors, which measure 48″x66″:
I followed this with two more vertical strips and a piece of framing along the bottom. Note that I cut the horizontal framing strips longer than the side walls, then trim to length after the CA has cured:
Later on, I’ll add an eyebolt to each of these blocks. Farmers would run a rope through these eyebolts to tie the doors in the open position for loading the kiln. This can be seen in this detail photo of a tobacco kiln near Scotland, Ontario:
Next up, I need to add the hinges along the top of each door, and the simple wooden latches that keep the doors closed when not in use. Lots of little pieces to cut and glue!