A model railway just can’t have too many small sheds along the right of way. I’m actually a bit surprised I don’t see more of them in photos of Port Rowan, but I’m pleased that the section house had an adjacent shed – most likely for storing oil, lubricants, and so on. (That’s what it’ll be used for on my layout, anyway!)
I don’t have any photos of the shed at Port Rowan, but regular reader Steve Lucas shared some of the photos he’s taken of such sheds elsewhere in Ontario (thanks, Steve!) and that was enough to get me started. I decided it would be finished the same way as the section house – board and batten siding and tarpaper roof – and I built it using the same technique I used on the section house: namely, laminating individually stained and distressed strip wood over a styrene core.
I positioned the shed so that the door faces the section house, with enough space for a section gang to wrestle barrels and other containers into the shed. When it’s in place on the layout, the door can barely be seen over the section house:
As the above photo shows, I’ve also been working on the section house today:
I have weathered the roofs of both structures.
I’ve also added eavestroughs and downspouts to the section house – these are visible in the colour photo I have in my collection, which also shows that the eavestrough on this side has rotted through and part of what is left has come away from the roof.
I had a lot of fun modelling that. I weathered a couple of boards to represent gunk that has washed down the side of the section house where the eavestrough has failed. I’ll work on that some more – I’m not yet happy with it. It’ll probably require airbrushing.
Finally, note that the lower portions of the section house walls are darker than the uppers. This was originally a Grand Trunk structure, painted grey over green. All the photos I have of the section house show that the green is bleeding through – not as a colour, but as a darker undertone. I did this with a black weathering solution from Hunterline, and I think it turned out quite nicely…