I mentioned in the comments on my post about my recently-acquired two-dome tank car that I had upgraded my model with BTS air hoses and NWSL wheelsets. Simon Dunkley asked,
Can we have a picture of the results of the upgrade, please?
Obviously, I have yet to weather the car. And I may still repaint it into a scheme more likely to be seen on a Canadian railway. (Maybe something like this?)
I really like the air hoses from BTS – part number 02302. These come four to a pack (enough for two cars) and consist of two brass castings (the glad hand, and the valve assembly) and a piece of flexible tubing.
I removed the brass air hoses that came on the tank car, cleaned out the mounting hole, and glued the BTS valve in place. Before mounting, I bent the post on which the tubing will fit so that when I put the tubing on it drops down almost vertical and angles in below the coupler a bit. I then fit the tubing and measure the drop for the hose – clip it off – and fit the glad hand. I double check that the glad hand is high enough that it will clear the rails – just – and then a drop of CA on each mounting post holds everything securely.
I brush-painted the brass pieces black and the flexible tubing black-grey, using Acrylicos Vallejo paints. Weathering will blend everything together nicely.