I mentioned in a recent post that my CNR 10-wheelers are slipping a fair bit. It’s especially noticeable with The Daily Effort – the mixed train that patrolled my branch line.
In part, the problem stems from the compensating trucks that I’ve added to the two passenger cars on this train. They increase the drag on the train – and while the 2-6-0s don’t seem to mind the 10-wheelers respond by losing their grip. The 2-6-0s may be tiny, but I think they’re heavier – possibly because some space in the boilers of the 10-wheelers is taken up by their DCC decoders.
This is a small jar of green goop that you apply to a pair of drivers. It cures to a thin band around the tire – a goo-it-yourself traction tire. I picked up some last week at an area hobby shop and applied it to the front pair of drivers on my two 10-wheelers over the weekend:
(Not a dignified position)
Early results are mixed.
CNR 1560 does exhibit some improvement and can now pull the mixed train, although there’s still some slipping. I’d like to improve it further.
But 1560’s identical stable mate – CNR 1532 – continues to spin.
I suspect it’s not a shortcoming of either the Bullfrog Snot or of the locomotive – but of my application of the goo. I found the Snot went on rather lumpy and in order to smooth it as directed, I had to dip my applicator – a piece of (scale 6″ x 6″) stripwood – into some water and thin the goop on the tire. (The manufacturer says thinning with water is fine – although I wonder if I thinned it too much.)
I have several options for next steps. The first is to add a second, thin layer of Snot on top of the first and see if that helps. If not, I can clean the Snot off the driver and try again, perhaps on the rear pair of drivers.
This isn’t really a big issue for me. The 10-wheelers run just fine pulling a freight train. And given that by 1957, the six-axle baggage-mail car was replaced with a four-axle full baggage, only one car in my later version of The Daily Effort will be fitted with compensated trucks – and that should not prove to be any trouble for a 10-wheeler.
But now I am curious as to whether I’m using the Snot correctly, and whether others have had better results than I have… so far…