Last night I shingled the roof on the house for St. Williams. The kit included laser cut paper shingles in pale grey. I decided to use these, but will paint them black.
These shingles do not have a peel and stick backing – and that’s fine because I find such backings are great for positioning rows but lousy at keeping the shingles in place over time, so I always take measures to lock everything in place:
First, as I lay each row I run a bead of CA along the top edge of the strip.
Then, when I have finished the roof, I carefully brush a coating of dilute Weld-Bond (2:1 adhesive to water) over the shingles. When this dries – usually overnight – the roof is nice and solid.
Afterward shingling the roof, I set the house in place on the layout and thought I’d take a couple of photos to explore the possibilities of this scene. I’m pleased with how it’s coming together. The house fits, both physically (I knew it would, since I built a mock-up) and aesthetically:
Next up – painting the roof, adding the stairs, and detailing.