Several months ago now, I presented my friend Pierre Oliver with a set of five HO scale tobacco kilns. I scratch-built these for his Wabash layout, which is set in the same region as my Port Rowan branch:
(The HO kilns. My S scale kilns will be similar…)
They’re small structures, but a lot of work. As I discovered while building Pierre’s models, there are a lot of fiddly little bits to add. So I took a break from building kilns, working on other things over the latter half of last year.
But knowing that I have to build them at some point, I decided they’d be a good project for 2014. So this week I started working on five kilns in 1:64 to complete the scene in St. Williams.
I’m following basically the same process I did to build Pierre’s kilns, although since S scale is considerably bigger and since I’ve already tried building them one way I plan to try some different things as I go along. So this won’t be a repeat of earlier postings. That said, I did start the same way: By cutting out the 10 end walls I’ll need from sheet styrene.
I used 0.040″ thick sheet since it’ll work nicely with the posts I plan to use in the corners. I didn’t have any 0.040″ thick sheet in stock at home, so I hit a local hobby shop. There, I found they had no plain 0.040″ thick sheet in stock. I bought some that’s marked off in tiles. It’ll work fine, and as I discovered it actually made laying out the walls a whole lot quicker since I could use the tiles as guides for cutting openings, and for cladding the walls with “tarpaper” (masking tape).
With the walls cut out, I tackled the five front walls. I cut strips of masking tape to represent tarpaper and started laying them onto the walls with slight overlaps for each strip. I always run a line of Thick CA onto the wall before laying the masking tape in place, to make sure it doesn’t peel away in the future:
In the above photo, the wall at left has been fully clad with tarpaper, while the wall at right is in process. Look at how easy those tiles make it to line up the strips!
The stack of walls in the upper right includes front and rear walls. It’s not shown, but I’ve used a marker to write a unique identification on the back of each wall (e.g.: “5W” for “fifth kiln, west wall”). This will allow me to keep everything sorted as I progress.
I worked from bottom up, strip by strip, so that paint would build up at joints between strips of tarpaper. The joints appear as darker lines. I also like the way this acrylic – applied straight from the tube – creates lighter and darker areas in streaks. I like the stained effect this gives the walls.
I’ll move onto the rear walls next. It’s good to have this project underway…