I’ve had a few people ask me what detail parts I used for my S scale CNR baggage-mail car. Since others may be interested too, here’s a list. I’ll try to be as complete as I can.
02401 – Steam Lines (pair)
02409 – Brake Cylinder
02413 – Blow-Down (four to a package – I used two)
02415 – Dual Air Signal Line (pair)
02410 – Distribution Valve
02422 – Battery Box B (I used two packages)
02441 – Marker Lamp Brackets
02442 – Pullman Vent (I used two packages)
I also used 60 NBW castings from Grandt Line* – I used part 101.
Railings were made with .015″ dia phosphor bronze wire from Tichy*, while I formed the stirrups from .010″x.030″ flat brass from Details Associates. Various sizes of wire were used for underbody piping.
The smoke jack came from Andy Malette at MLW Services*.
Beyond this, I used various sheet and strip styrene to fill the clerestory windows, extend the centre sills, replace the floor sections that I cut away to remove the cast-in underbody details, and so on. I also scratch-built some parts, including the underbody air tanks and handbrake take-up mechanism, and the handbrake ratchets at each end.
The Canadian National Railways Historical Association* offers correct paint.
Decals are CNR Passenger Cars (1930-1961) from Black Cat Publishing*.
I used microscope slide cover glass for the windows and Kadee 808 couplers.
Things you can’t see in the finished car photo include my rework of how the roof attaches to the body, which required 2-56 screws and some big pieces of styrene strip on the inside of the car, and the addition of quite a number of self-adhesive tire weights to bring the car up to the NMRA recommended practice for weight (RP20.1*).
I’m also waiting on some replacement wheel sets from Northwest Short Line*.
I’ll post some more photos of the finished car once the replacement wheels are installed and I’ve had a chance to weather it.
(*Check the “Links” section on this blog’s home page for the most up-to-date links)