I promised myself that I’d finish the three tobacco kilns for St. Williams by the end of this year. Then I undertook a bunch of other projects. Suddenly, it’s November – and at last report I only had one kiln anywhere close to being done: How did that happen?!?
So over the past month, I’ve been working on them more diligently. As this photo shows, all three are now built and painted:
The kilns definitely need weathering, but assembly is done. I can now turn to fabricating details to complete the kiln yard scene.
I have added the stoves to the foundation, with firebox doors cut from O scale Grandt Line kits for passenger car stoves (item 3068):
They’re too small, but they’re simply glued in place on the foundations – so when I find (or build) something more appropriate I’ll simply carve off these doors and replace them.
Grandt Line also supplied the stack for the rear of the kilns (item 3552). Each kit includes two stacks, which I spliced together to get the length I needed. I scratch-built the vents in the lower corners at the rear:
I covered the roof with peel’n’stick S scale three-tab shingles from Rusty Stumps. I always run a bead of CA before attaching shingles, because I don’t trust the peel’n’stick adhesive. Also, when the roof is finished, I brush it down with diluted Weld-Bond to lock the shingles together.
One final observation about shingles: To get them in straight lines, one usually draws a series of parallel lines on the roof stock. I’ve found a better way – I use pre-scribed styrene sheet. For the tobacco kilns, I used Evergreen “tile” sheet with 1/8″ squares. This perfectly matched the spacing for the shingle strips:
The kilns definitely need weathering, but over the past month I’ve turned them from mock-ups into models. And I’ve beat my (self-imposed) deadline.