The dreaded dreadnaughts

CNR-DD-Box-New Ends.

I’m working on my CN 10’6″ 40-foot double-door boxcar, which I introduced in an earlier posting.

The first step was to cut away the 5/5 Dreadnaught Ends on the Pacific Rail Shops* car and replace them with resin castings for 4/4 Improved Dreadnaught Ends by Andy Malette of MLW Services*.

I remember regularly seeing features and clinics on doing this type of surgery on HO cars back in the 1980s and early 1990s, before the resin revolution made a lot of this type of kit bashing work unnecessary. It’s still necessary in some cases, but in many other cases it’s possible to find an HO resin kit with the correct ends already cast.

But not so in S.

I’ve never done this kind of surgery on a freight car and I was a little nervous about attempting it. I didn’t need to be. Some patient work with a razor saw, a few passes with a file, and some gluing (suitably braced inside the corners) and the job is done.

I did need to file the inside of the peaks of the resin ends to allow the roof to drop into place, since I lost a saw-kerf of body side length from each end of the car, but this was pretty straightforward too.

This car will add some variety to my growing boxcar fleet.

(*Check the “Links” section on this blog’s home page for the most up-to-date links)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're not a nasty spamming robot thingy * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.