CNR 1 is in service

Over the past couple of days, I’ve put the finishing touches on CNR 44 tonner Number 1 – and the locomotive is now in service:

 photo CNR1-Finished_zpsvmk4mpiz.jpg

To finish the model, I used custom decals created for me by Bill Brillinger at Precision Design Company. (Thanks, Bill – they worked beautifully!)

I glazed the windows with microscope slide covers and added MV Lenses to the class/marker lamps at all four corners. I did some brush-painting with CNR Yellow number 11 to pick out the handrails, cut levers, and step edges as shown in my prototype photo.

Weathering is a mix of airbrushed paint plus weathering powders, and I found that a very light spray of CNR warm black over the decals helped tone down the lettering and stripe, giving the One Spot an appropriately worked-in appearance.

I’m pleased to report the locomotive also runs very well. The current-keeper I installed recently has delivered on its promise of interruption-free running, even through the grassiest parts of my track work. And while doing that work, I removed the double-sided foam tape that I had been using to hold the TSU-750 in place, and replaced it with a strip of 1/4″ Kapton Tape – a change that improves how the decoder sheds heat. (Previously, it had suffered from overheating on occasion, and would shut down about halfway through an operating session. That’s now been fixed.)

This was a fun project and while it won’t see a lot of work on the Port Rowan branch, it will add variety on occasion. Plus, it’ll join my CNR Doodlebug as a great addition to the S Scale Workshop exhibition layout.

(Follow this category link to read all posts about the 44 Tonner)

Time for another project – and I already have one in mind. But I’ll write about that in a future post…

8 thoughts on “CNR 1 is in service

    • My pleasure, Gene.
      I should’ve included a link to Kapton in the original post. I’ve now done that. I use the 1/4″ roll, which is $5. I picked mine up at a local electronics supply house, but I see it can also be ordered directly.
      Cheers!

  1. Another great post; can you elaborate on the material to weather the vents? Bragdon powders or airbrushed ?
    thanks

  2. Ugh! Diseasel’s! ; > My poor steamers, replaced again.

    Seriously, it looks great. You did a great job on it.

    I used to love seeing these 44-Tonners on the Salt Lake, Garfield and Western. Sadly, I never was there when they were operating, but it was still neat to see ’em.

    Brian

  3. Very nice loco, Trevor. Question on the decoder tape: Did you use 1 mil thick or some other thickness? And how does this tape prevent overheating of the decoder? Does it shield the decoder from the heat generated by the motor, or some other effect?

    Phil

    • Hi Phil:
      I’ll have to check the thickness. As I understand it, the Kapton tape is designed to help transfer heat away from whatever it’s holding. The problem was heat from the electronics in the decider itself, which would be absorbed by the double-sided foam tape and not allow the decider to radiate heat properly. Now, the decider is taped inside the brass shell, so heat is transferred to the shell and radiated away.
      Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're not a nasty spamming robot thingy * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.