(It sure looks like Tony Stark in a suit, doesn’t it? Not a beautiful example of streamlined self-propelled railway equipment…)
The CNR D-1 project is coming together nicely. My friend Stephen Gardiner did a terrific job of resizing his HO scale 3D print files for the body and roof to S scale, and the print I ordered arrived late last month from Shapeways. Last week, I visited my friend Ryan Mendell, who cut the brass frame for me, and we modified the frame to make it fit into the body:
My next step will be to wash the shell, then apply a coat of primer. I’m finding that the translucent material in which it’s printed is almost impossible to see properly, because of how light passes through it and reflects about. I certainly can’t do any work on detailing the shell until I can see the thing. A coat of primer will – I hope – smooth the already mostly-smooth finish on the print. If not, it will show me where I have to sand.
Based on the success of this print, Stephen has released – and I have ordered – the S scale prints for D-1’s two trailers. Those should arrive by the end of the month. Stay tuned…