A new pilot for CNR 3737

On Friday, I spent about four hours in the shop with Andy Malette – our first work session on the previously-announced CNR S-3-a project. Appropriately enough, we started at the front – removing the pilot that came with the model and replacing it with a CNR-specific pilot:

CNR 3737 - new pilot
(A new pilot, and my first effort at resistance soldering)

OMI Light Mikado - Front
(The factory-installed pilot can be seen in this photo of the “before” model)

We worked from instructions that Andy wrote for kits he created to model CNR 4-6-2s in S scale, and used some of the casting he had produced for those – including the beam, the draft gear (coupler box), and the boiler tube pilot. (You can find a photo of one of Andy’s 4-6-2s – CNR K3 #5575 – on the S Scale Workshop gallery.)

Once the old pilot was removed, I marked and drilled holes on the top of the new pilot beam for flag holders and the supports for the front coupler cut lever. Those will be added later.

Next, I used a resistance soldering rig to attach the boiler tube pilot and the draft gear (coupler box), then attach the completed pilot to the front deck.

We actually ended up with the drat gear mounted too high. In my enthusiasm, I did not refer to the prototype photos. Oops! Big lesson learned. Fortunately, I also learned other lessons – like, “It can be unsoldered and moved!” and “You can do this!” So last night – following consultation with prototype photos – I hauled out my own resistance soldering rig and moved it lower. I then cut and filed a piece of brass strip to go behind the box, to close the hole in the pilot beam. Sharp-eyed readers will see a U-shaped piece of brass behind the box in this photo:

CNR 3737 - new pilot - underside

It may not seem like much – it’s just a pilot, and there’s a lot more locomotive behind it. But I’m really pleased with my progress so far. It was an excellent first class on bashing brass steam locomotives, and I’m looking forward to Lesson #2. That’ll happen in the new year sometime, when we continue to detail the pilot.

Thanks for a great work session, Andy!

I’m tackling this project for several reasons. As mentioned previously, I felt I needed a group project to motivate me – and I needed help figuring out how to proceed with the modifications I’d like to do to the stock model to make it into a CNR locomotive.

Andy is just the person to guide me in that regard. I’ve never worked on a project like this with him, and it very quickly became apparent why he was such a good teacher professionally. He would demonstrate on his 2-8-2, then let me do mine. And he’s incredibly patient. I’ve learned a lot in the first four hours, including that it’s going to take many, many hours to get the locomotives ready for the S Scale Workshop layout – but that’s wonderful, because I’m enjoying the process and the social side of the project.

The hobby isn’t a job. There are no hard deadlines – only self-imposed ones. Sometimes, in our eagerness to get to the point where a project is finished, we forget that the project itself is as enjoyable as the end result. Yes, I’m going to love giving CNR 3737 its debut on the Workshop at an exhibition sometime in the future. But I’m also loving learning about working with brass, and adding to my skill set. Which brings me to another point…

Something I hoped to learn from this project was techniques for using various tools that I’ve collected over the years. I’ve had a resistance soldering rig for several years now – I’d picked it up from the estate of a friend who passed away and I always thought that someday, I would have a use for it. But it’s been slumbering in a box for more than a decade now because I didn’t really know how to use it, and didn’t have a project upon which to learn. Other approaches to soldering always did the trick, so there was no need to put the rig to use.

Now, however, I’m learning how to use the tool – to the point where I was able to do some rework on my own after our session, as noted above. And I’m already thinking about how I can use resistance soldering for future projects.

And a technical update…

I’ve now added a new category filter: CNR 3737 will return all posts related to this project. I’ve updated previous posts with the category, and will use it on future posts – although with the holidays upon us, you may not see more on this until well into January…

3 thoughts on “A new pilot for CNR 3737

  1. That’s really cool.

    Mentoring and the sharing of skills is one of the all too often unsung things about our hobby, and for me have been a defining feature of the friendships I have developed within it. I am fortunate enough to know some of the best modellers anywhere, and they have always been willing to discuss how they do things, and even to stand there with me and guide me through the process themselves.

    Nice post.

    Simon

    • Thanks Simon.
      I feel that even as I start work on this model, I’m embarking on a new phase of my learning and development in the hobby. I have other projects that will require the skills I’m learning with CNR 3737 and I am looking forward – eventually – to putting them to good use.
      Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're not a nasty spamming robot thingy * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.