In “Dip Job“, I hinted about a new locomotive project I’m undertaking. As the photo above shows, the project is a CNR S-3-a class 2-8-2 – and I’m working on this one to share with my friends in the S Scale Workshop on our exhibition layout.
CNR 3737 was one of 25 USRA Light Mikados ordered by the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada in 1918. It spent some time on the American side of the border before being imported to Canada for good in the early 1940s. It was scrapped in September of 1958.
There’s plenty of information about the class in Roster Book 6 of the highly-recommended Canadian National Steam! series, which is where I found the above photo. If you have any interest in Canadian steam, this is a must-have series.
The starting point for this project is an Overland Models S scale (yes – Overland used to import S scale brass) USRA Light Mikado. OMI imported 150 of these Ajin-produced models in 1985. I picked up one on the used market a few years ago with the intention of converting it into a CNR specimen.
This project has been sitting on the back burner until now because I was unsure how to proceed. I’ve never bashed brass before, and a comparison of the prototype and model photos shows that while the general lines are right, there are a number of fittings to be moved about and some modifications to make.
But in a recent conversation via email between members of the S Scale Workshop, my friend Andy Malette mentioned he also had one of these Light Mikes to tackle. The lightbulb lit: I suggested to Andy that we work on these together, and we’re going to have our first work session tomorrow.
I will share some updates on this blog, but it won’t be a blow-by-blow accounting of how I built CNR 3737. I think that’s more suitable to a magazine feature, so I will be taking photos and notes with that in mind.
Andy is an excellent builder in brass. A couple of years ago, we wowed the Workshop with a CNR 2-8-0 that he built by extensively reworking a brass consolidation based on a Missouri Pacific prototype:
Andy also designed a kit for S scale (and HO scale) CNR 4-6-2s, and has built a few CNR locomotives from the kits designed by our mutual friend, Simon Parent. He certainly knows his way around brass bashing, and I know I can learn a lot from him about this. I’m keen to get started. In preparation, I’ve been removing the protective clear coat from the OMI model. I disassembled the model, soaked the brass parts in lacquer thinner for a couple of days, then ran them through my ultrasonic cleaner:
The model is now clear coat-free and ready to go.
Lately, I’ve found it difficult to find the enthusiasm to begin large projects. There’s just a lot of other things going on in my life right now. These aren’t bad things, but they have meant that my hobby has been on the back burner a bit. I’ve found that when this happens to me, one way to address this is – to rekindle enthusiasm, even when I’m otherwise occupied – is to launch into a project with another modeller as a co-operative effort.
Having a schedule – such as a work session once or twice per month, which is what Andy and I are planning – gives me a deadline to work towards. Plus, the anticipation of a day of model-building with friends is always inspiring.
I’m certainly looking forward to this particular project!